Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

An Obama mama and a baby for Barack

Christina gave me this onesie when I was about 13 weeks pregnant with Sam. I took these pictures on the first night of the Democratic convention. Christina also gave me my Obama Mama pin - which I am wearing proudly today! Thanks Tina!




Today is the day. Have you done your civic duty yet? Texas offers early voting which makes it about as easy as pie to make sure you vote. Seriously, you have 2 weeks to fit it into your schedule (plus election day). Everyone in Texas should vote. I didn't bring Sam this year. But I plan to every year going forward. Election Day was a big deal in my house growing up. First of all, because my school was a polling place so we had off (which was reason enough to love the first Tuesday in November) but my mom made it a big deal. She always voted and she always took us with her.


I remember "voting" in 4th grade for the presidential election. Even then I was so proud. I promptly marched home and told my mother I voted for Bush (the first one). "Why?" she asked. I think my answer went something along the lines of everyone else is and the fact that he had to know what he was doing since he had been a VP. (Ha!) My mom as very liberal Democrat didn't mention that she supported Dukakis or even tell us how she voted. She believed that we needed to make up our own mind how we felt about government, politics, etc.


I think Sam needs to make up her own mind. And I am sure our beliefs will influence it (as my mother's did). She has a grandfather (PaPa - my dad) and an auntie Shannon who are both Republicans so they should help balance out her mother and aunties who are fierce democrats. I am sure she will hear sides to every story growing up. We talk politics A LOT and send lots of emails, links to YouTube videos and articles, etc (especially when we think the recipient will not necessarily agree with the commentary). Shannon - did you ever order that Obama sticker? :) And do we fight about it - yes. Loudly and passionately. But that's what great about our family. Somehow we all still like each other afterwards.

One of my favorite quotes from this election season was made by Hillary Clinton at the Democratic Convention. She said that "her grandmother didn't have the right to vote but that her daughter cast a vote for her mother." Wow. Look how much our country has changed in the last 100 years. Pretty cool. I can't wait to tell Sam all about it.

P.S. As I stated my father is a republican who loves to push the buttons of his 3 liberal daughters, and is usually the one to start stirring the pot. But....this year for the first time in over 30 years he is voting for a Democrat. Yea - go dad! I plan on reminding him of this for years to come.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Way to go, Sam & Laura!

I wish we had early voting here. The lines at the polls are incredibly long (at least in our district) but everyone seems to be in great spirits and the excitement is palpable.

I can't wait to sit on the couch tonight with a big glass of wine and watch the results come in. And I will have a big box of tissues because I feel pretty certain that regardless of how this election turns out, I'll need them. I'm just hoping for tears of happiness!

YES WE CAN!