Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Saturday, October 11, 2008

How 'bout those fightin' Phils?

I know I have mentioned what big Eagles Fans we are in a few random posts. We faithfully watch every Sunday, even when our quarterback just can't figure out how to close the deal we keep coming back for more. But KC is actually an even bigger Phillies fan. Something most people don't know about him since due to contracts with cable provider we can not get any Phillies games on TV in Dallas, even with the MLB package from Direct TV.

This is a somewhat small example of memories and something special he got from having family that lived nearby and was an integral part of his life. His Great Grandmother (Mable Whittaker - also where KC got his first name - Whittaker not Mabel) lived until she was in her 90's, right down the road from where we grew up. And until she died she was the biggest Phillies fan ever. She kept the box scores in marble notebooks and watched every game with a package of cookies in front of her. KC has all of these amazing memories of watching games with her and having cookies for dinner. I don't have a lot of memories of my grandparents. Partially because we didn't grow up close to them but also because by the time I was 10 there was only one still living. Great Gram memories aren't the only legacy from KC's grandparents. His Pop and Gram taught him to golf. Something he would rank a close third on a list of things he loves (right after Sam and I of course. No wait, Andrew might be third. Maybe golf is fourth? Care to offer a guess Christina?).
That's what I want for Sam. All of those small special things that when shared with a grandparent make them more special. I anticipate hearing Sam stamp her feet in frustration with something I am doing and threaten to live at Grandma's around the corner. I even plan to let her think she's gotten away with it for a few hours (maybe squeeze a movie in?). Maybe it will be hitting the garage sales first thing on Saturday morning with Grandma, or sailing with Mom-Mom and Skipper, and golfing with PaPa and Pop. Or maybe if it's cooking with MeMe and riding carousels with Grammie Di. I want her to have those things. Those are the kind of things I think you carry with you forever. They shape the person you become. Sam is so very lucky already. She has 7 grandparents who adore her and want to be part of her life. As big a part as they can be. I think maybe if we just went away and set up a rotation we might not be needed for about 2 months.
This all came about because of the Phillies recent post season success. If you aren't a baseball fan (and really it takes a special person to be a fan of a game when nothing happens 90% of the time) then let me tell you the Phillies are on fire. Winning playoff games for the first time in 15 years.

In honor of Great Gram - GO PHILS!!



I had Sam's picture taken as a surprise for KC's first Fathers Day. I intended for her to look much more like a girl but the bow I had attached to her head with syrup kept falling out. After a while I just gave up. We know she's a girl.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember eating melted cheese on a piece of toast (my dinner) and watching the Von Eriks kick the "Freebirds" ass in wrestling at my great grandmothers. Meanwhile she was finishing her cigarette and can of of Coors Light at the ripe age of 75 or so. Not only that, but my "grandma" didn't drive, so we rode the the city everywhere, usually to downtown dallas where she would allow me to buy as much candy as I wanted. Great post. Fun memories. The Cowboys were in there as well. :)

Anonymous said...

the city bus(DART)that is....

Christina said...

Sam really is lucky to have so many people to love her and show her new things!

Also, congratulations on the Phils! We landed in St. Louis yesterday and Andrew basically ran from our gate to the closest bar so he could watch the game.

I think Andrew and KC hold each other higher on their list of favorites than they will ever admit to their wives or children. ;)

Unknown said...

The game the other night was great! Yea Phillies! I definitely have some great memories to, but mine involved honey nut cheerios (a banned substance in my house) with my grandmother! Peanut is so lucky...she won't ever be without love and hugs from all directions!