Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I really, really, really never ever thought I would say this

I want to move back to Pennsylvania. More specifically, Yardley. Actually, If I could move right back into the house I grew up in I would. (Don't be offended Mom but I'd probably make some changes.) Anyone who knows me is probably picking their jaw up off the floor right about now. We have spent 7 years in Texas. Almost all of which I have spent insisting that we will never move back home. We will never move anywhere the has actual winter. But we just spent 5 fabulous days back at home. And now I'm all over the place.

I'm not sure if it was the fall weather, my favorite season at home (no summer humidity, no spring rain, and no frigid winter temperatures). Fall in PA is brisk and bright colors and the best smells (burning leaves is at the top of my list). It might be the wonderful friends and family we have there. I can't help but envision play dates and dinners out, days at the local farms. All of it made me nostalgic. I passed by my elementary school and saw where our 5th grade picnic was, the community pool where we spent so many summer days, the favorite local restaurants that might encourage me to never cook again. I think becoming a mother did me in. Growing up where we did was so much fun. I don't know what Sam's experiences here in Texas will be. But at home I know what pumpkin patch we would hit every year (Shady Brook Farms) and where we would go to cut our Christmas tree down every year (Indian Walk) where we would play miniature golf on warm summer nights (Snipes). It's hard not to think about what our life would be like if we lived back in PA.

Now, before you get all "WHAT?!? You're moving?!?" we're not. In less than 2 years we will officially have no family left in the area. As much as I love, love, love all our friends but we want our kids to grow up with family. And not family that 1,000 miles away. Family around the corner and over for dinner on Sunday afternoon.

The fact that it has snowed in Philadelphia in the last few days has tempered my wistfulness for living in PA. That is just what I needed. Thanks Mother Nature!

4 comments:

Christina said...

If you had been here yesterday, you would have gone running back to Texas as fast as you could. It was that gross kind of Pennsylvania November weather (a little early) -- cold, wet, rainy-snowy and gross. And it's even worse with a baby!! Not that we wouldn't love to have you... ;)

Anonymous said...

That hurts my feelings!!!! I don't even want you to move across town much less across country!!!
Love you!

brooke said...

Think about how much you love being home, then think about how much we LOVE having you home. I had so much fun hanging out this weekend. You're family is a blast! If you really never do come back, please know you always have a place to stay! XO

Anonymous said...

when i first read this i thought...wait....but i'm coming down there lady! and after this weeks SNOW/RAIN i want to come NOW, but i think we all miss home sometimes. It was SO great to spend the weekend with you, kara, and mom this weekend, to see brooke, Andrea, and hold Sam for 3 whole days!!!! i miss her alraedy, and can't wait for Xmas