Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I never thought I would be so happy to see October


I have never in my whole life been so thankful for the month of September to be over. Usually I love September, the weather gets cooler, football starts, and pumpkins take up residence on our front porch. But not this September. This September we spent the month sick, starting with day 2.
Tuesday, September 2nd - Sam had the sniffles during Labor Day weekend but woke up on Tuesday sounding wheezy which completely freaked us out. KC stayed home with her and took her to the doctor where they diagnosed...a cold, shocking, I know. And the beginning of an ear infection. So for the next 10 days we diligently gave her amoxicillan. Which she loved! And we did pretty good for the next week or so. We never really went back to being ourselves 100% but close.

Sunday, September 14th - We throw up all over Dad and herself. Sam threw up everywhere for the first 6 months of her life. This was no spit-up. It was full out vomit. The poor child had no idea what was happening and it absolutely terrified me. She spent Sunday sleeping on my chest. She didn't have a fever or anything else wrong with her, just a little clingy and very tired.

Monday, September 15th - in the wee hours of the morning she threw up again in bed. We called the doctor in the morning and they told us if she doesn't have a fever (she didn't) or anything else going on then just keep her hydrated and she should be fine. (This is also the fateful day that I got poison ivy on my lower legs that still won't go away.)

Wednesday, September 17th - she throws up all over me. I can not stress enough - ALL OVER ME.

Saturday, September 20th - We go back to the doctor. She still doesn't seem like her self. No fever, but just out of sorts still (very clingy, low appetite, whiny - which sounds mean but it was so unlike her). They diagnose an ear infection and since the first antibiotic didn't work they prescribe augnetim, name brand. Of course, this can only be found at a specialty pharmacy that opens on Monday. Figures.

Saturday afternoon - Sunday, September 21st - Sam develops a rash starting on her neck and covering most of her torso. We call the doctor again who thinks it may be a viral rash and if it doesn't go away by Monday or gets worse bring her back. At this point I am convinced that there is something terribly wrong. Something no doctor can figure out and we will spend the next few months trying to cure her. (Can you feel the overreaction coming on?)

Monday, September 22nd - Sam starts the new augmentin and seems to be doing a lot better. The rash is pretty much gone.

Tuesday, September 23rd - in the wee morning hours we throw up again. But it doesn't seem to faze her a bit so I am wondering if it is a reaction to the augmentin? And then as Sam and I are standing in the kitchen, completely dressed and ready to leave the house she pukes ALL OVER ME. Poor KC had broken 2 toes the day before, and I start bellowing for him to come quick and help me clean the puke that has now covered the kitchen. Sam and I head back to the doctor that afternoon. Since she still has no fever they do blood work to confirm that it is viral. And then it gets really interesting... While we are waiting for the blood work to come back (they ran it right there in the office) I start to feel nauseous. And hot and sweaty. So after shoving Sam in the arms of a nurse in the hallway I proceed to the bathroom to get sick. Yes, she has a virus and now so do I. (We also may need to find a new doctor since I will forever be the mom who threw up in their office.)

Wednesday, September 24th - Friday, September 26th - I think I am dying. I can't eat. KC and Loni (my MIL) get a touch of it. Thankfully Sam seems like her old self again. I told KC "I feel like we have our baby back."

Friday, September 26th we depart for our big road trip from Dallas to Phoenix (16 hours in the car. Yeah, we're a little nuts.) Both KC and I are not at 100% but we are managing. We arrive in Arizona Saturday night where I promptly come down with a cold. And to make matters worse - pink eye - in both eyes. Seriously.

So between, 2 ear infections, a stomach bug, 2 broken toes, poison ivy, and pink eye we were so very happy to see the end of September. And since you at least scrolled through the novel I just wrote about how September sucked in our house, here's a cute picture of Sam.


Now, I really might be back for good.

2 comments:

Christina said...

Okay, first things first: you need to move back to Pennsylvania if there are no pharmacies in Dallas that sell a drug as common as Augmentin and that are open on the weekends. Ridiculous. If you were up here, Glenn would have those meds for you, stat. 24/7. Just a thought...

Second, you have no idea how many moms get sick from their kids and puke in doctors' offices. You are not the first and you will not be the last, so don't be embarrassed! As long as they didn't actually have to clean up after you, you're in the clear. I am speaking from experience.

Third, Sam is just so freaking cute. I can't wait to get down there and give her a squeeze (provided she doesn't projectile vomit all over me).

mamalouise said...

I am so glad you are back! I am a regular blog stalker and have missed your updates! But...COMPLETELY understand your abscense and seriously feel for you! It sounds like our winter last year. Yes, the entire winter one of the three of us was sick-UGH! At least in Dallas it doesn't get too cold! :)

October will be better! There is pumpkins and baby costumes in October! :)