Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Monday, July 7, 2008

Lots of Firsts on the Fourth (or the weekend of...)

We squeezed a lot into this past holiday weekend. I always get a little over zealous on holiday weekends. We have more time than the average weekend so I figure we should be able to get that much more done. Except by that much more I usually multiply what we should get done by about 10 - with only 2 extra days. Every time I do this and every time we get to the end of the weekend with things still on my to do list. I also forgot to factor having a baby into the equation. That slows things down quite a bit. Especially when she is moving around. A LOT.

This weekend our firsts included actually crawling (graduated from scooting!) our first real snuggle with Jake (a result of actually crawling), first swim in PaPa and MeMe's pool (ad first pool side nap), first dinner out with all of the Little Elm people (Poppy and the blueberries included), sleeping with a lovey ( I was always to paranoid before), first real food (a baby carrot), and then IT happened. This is what I mean by it:

Our conversation on Saturday afternoon went something like this:

I walk out of Sam's room after putting her down for a nap.

KC: "Is she sleeping?"

Laura: "Not a chance. She's fighting it."

Sam screaming in the background.
Laura: "I am going to get the monitor"
KC: "Do you really need the monitor? I'm pretty sure we can hear her." (Ha. Ha.)
The screaming stops. We look at each other and think Can this be real? Did she fall asleep so quick? I get the monitor.
Laura: "Uh Case, I see legs."

KC: "What?"

Laura: "I see legs! As in standing up. I SEE LEGS!"

Now we are both running at top speed to her room. We open the door and see this:

My second thought (after ok, she's safe) OH. MY. GOD. I am not ready for this.
Obviously, nap time was over. At least until we got the crib dropped. We dropped the mattress on the crib to the next level down. This does not mean that she can not get up to the rail now (She can. See below). It just means that she isn't in danger of falling over the side anymore.

Other firsts: pulling our self to a standing position using the ottoman, the couch, and Dad's back.

Seriously, NOT READY FOR THIS.
And yes, I have quite a bit still on my list of things we should have gotten done on the weekend of the fourth.


As a side note - right now my mother is thinking "Serves You Right." I had to be locked in my room as a baby/toddler. An actual dead bolt on the outside of my door. I'm sure these days CPS would be knocking on my door in a millisecond but back then it was all she could do to keep me in one room long enough to sleep. The deadbolt was installed after finding me in the front yard when I was supposed to be napping. I was so fond of climbing out of my crib that my parents placed a bean bag below my crib and I would sleep there after climbing out. Looking back on that I'm not sure how I survived or how my parents avoided Child Services. I have a feeling Sam may require a deadbolt of her own. Or maybe we just station Jake outside her door...

A Daddy's Girl already

An All American Girl on her first 4th of July

Sam and Claire (Her partner in crime)

PaPa and Peanut taking a swim

Dad and Cleopatra (aka Sam)

First of many, many poolside naps

First real food - a baby carrot

Sam the baby say "hi" to Sam the cat.

Sam and MeMe

Taking a snooze on Dad's chest

All ready for bed - and exhausted after a fun-filed weekend!

2 comments:

Christina said...

Oh my gosh. Seriously, chase will be in his Around-we-go at their wedding b/c that is his only means of independent movement.

Unknown said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is so exciting - is she so above the curve or what????????? I cannot even imagine how your heart stopped when you saw her legs on the monitor instead of her face/body! I can't wait to see her tomorrow night - she has changed so much in the last 2 1/2 weeks since I saw her!