Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Friday, August 15, 2008

The Sweetest Sound

As much I always say I am not going to be one of those moms who compares their kid to every other one on the playground sometimes it is hard to worry about if they are up to speed. Sam has always been a little bit slow in developing verbal skills. She didn't babble at an early age. In fact when we were at her 6 month appointment and the nurse asked if she talked back when we talked to her I think I mumbled "sometimes". I couldn't even tell you the rest of the questions she asked because for the next 30 seconds all I kept thinking was "oh my gosh we are missing a milestone. What if something is wrong? Does her limited babbling even count as talking back? Did I just lie to the nurse?" The doctor assured me that she was fine and babies develop different skills at different times. But still, I worried.

At Target this weekend we found our voice. Finally I was the person with the baby showing off her vocal skills with noises like "ba, ba" and "mamama" and "dadadad"and disrupting the other shoppers. I am sure the people around me were thinking "Wow, that kid's loud" and maybe even a few were thinking "Can't she keep that kid quiet?" All I could think was "that is the sweetest sound I have ever heard". I just kept chattering back to her and encouraging her to "talk". Just thinking about the two of us wandering Target bantering back and forth makes me smile.


This was the dinner conversation at our house last night.

2 comments:

Kara said...

I love this post! She looks so grown up! I cannot wait to see her and talk to her! I also love my appearance on the site, even if it is just my legs! Love u!

Anonymous said...

I love the 2nd one! the way she does a little smile...so cute!
see you in a little over 3 weeks!
ANDE